No mucking around. Let’s get straight to the point.
Things have changed -dramatically- as a result of COVID with new opportunities and markets emerging, old ways of doing things in decline, leaders and teams needing to rethink how we do business, and customers trying out different ways of buying and engaging with suppliers. There’s no time to stand still it seems, but that is what we need to do sometimes to catch our breath, reset, and look at what we need to do next.
So here are 7 things you can do to get real sales traction and sustainable sales and business growth in the new financial year:
- Stop and reflect: Before rushing out like a crazy cat chasing its tail, let’s take time to reflect on the past year and think about what we want to achieve this new FY.
- Review Your Sales strategy: If you have a sales strategy in place that was developed more than 18 months ago, it’s time to review it. If you don’t have a sales strategy in place, it’s time to develop one. This process provides the best starting place to allow senior leaders and sales teams explore and tackle sales challenges and opportunities giving clarity on what strategic and tactical moves to make, what client messaging needs to be conveyed, how to structure sales efforts, and provide guidance to plan next steps through the crisis.
- Undertake sales market segmentation: Consider if your traditional markets (pre-COVID) are still your best option. Maybe it’s time to explore what other opportunities have emerged with the changes of the last 18 months.
- Ignite the sales potential customer service: The customer service team can be your best sales team. You only need to train them and show them what opportunity looks like (see point 2 above on how to know what an opportunity looks like)
- Deliver continuous (remote) learning and coaching: Start running regular remote small group training sessions to practise and implement how to communicate, engage with, and sell to customers. You can do this on its own, or back it up with an online sales curriculum that people can go through at their own pace.
- Assess the current sales fitness and capability of your sales and service teams: Speaking about training and curriculum, start the FY by assessing your sales and service teams so you know exactly where they need support, and then you can provide them with the right training and coaching.
- Set a 28-day individual and team challenge: When everyone’s clear about your go-to-market sales strategy, target markets, what you’re selling to whom, and your value proposition (Why Us), and is equipped with common set of skills, tools and knowledge then set a group challenge to help embed new habits and new ways of doing things for the better.
Don’t leave your sales future to chance. And if you need any help in getting any or all of this into play, give us a call because we can help you get your Sales System into shape, quickly so you and your team can sell better, faster.
Contact us or call us on (+61) 3 9533 0000.
Remember everybody lives by selling something.